Katz’s Delicatessen Since 1888
Cuisine: Delis, Sandwiches
Neighborhood: Lower East Side
Occasion: Good for lunch, late night snack
Famous Dishes: Pastrami Sandwich, Brisket Sandwich, Matzo ball soup
History From Restaurant: In 1888, a small deli by the name of Iceland Brothers was established on Ludlow Street in New York’s Lower East Side by the Iceland brothers. Upon the arrival of Willy Katz in 1903, the name of the store was officially changed to “Iceland & Katz”. Willy’s cousin Benny joined him in 1910, buying out the Iceland brothers to officially form Katz’s Delicatessen. Their landsman Harry Tarowsky bought into the partnership in April 1917. Katz’s Deli was moved across the street, to its present location, during the construction of the subway system. The vacant lot on Houston Street (pronounced “House-ton” after a Dutch emigrant of the same name) was home to barrels of meat and pickles until the present storefront facade was added between 1946-49.
Katz’s Delicatessen 205 East Houston St., New York, NY 10002 (212) 254-2246